Thursday, January 5, 2012

Potatoes and eggs--fancified = )



Too much to title, but yesterday I opted to stay indoors and cook up a fantastic brunch. As usual, I had ingredients that would go bad, if I kept around for an additional week. So I opted to use them, and voila--a simplistic but tasty result of some generally bland food items. Potatoes and eggs can be severely jacked up if not done right. I did them right.

After a recent visit to The Mission Cafe in Mission Beach, I remembered something on the menu that had to do with rosemary potatoes. Sounded fun to try--and I have plenty of rosemary seasoning, so why not?

So I googled rosemary potatoes and voila! Found a rosemary/thyme/garlic potato recipe that was pretty damn easy. I have tons of dry seasonings stocked up, so this came out great. I coupled it with an aged white cheddar and onion frittata and had a nice meal.

::gathering my raw materials::

Ingredients:

2-3 red potatoes diced (not necessarily peeled)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
dried thyme and rosemary to taste
1/2 tsp garlic paste (or to taste)


Frittata:

2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded extra sharp vintage white cheddar
diced onion (to taste)




Directions:

Chop your red potatoes, pat dry and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet at medium heat. Add potatoes. Cook slowly, as the unsexy alternative is frantically opening up the front door, turning on the exhaust fan, and jumping up and down like a monkey, fanning a towel at the smoke alarm which won't shut up because you burned said potatoes.


As the potatoes brown, add your salt and seasonings. I also added a dash of chili powder to mine. Once all brown/cooked, set aside.




For the frittata, beat two eggs with the milk, and add the shredded cheese. In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil and add your onions.



Cook onions until clear, and add your egg mixture. Cook in the pan until the edges are poofy/cooked.



Turn your oven to the broiler setting and transfer the partially cooked egg to the oven (either use a cast iron skillet, or transfer the egg to an oven safe dish. Or a pie tin. Whatever you have. = )


Allow to bake for 10-15 minutes before removing. Serve and enjoy with the potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment