Tuesday, May 11, 2010

fudgy, nutty brownies



Ah the brownie...cakey, fudgy, chewy, or crunchy...so many different variations. No matter how many times I've tried, I always come out with either cakey brownies (which promptly end up in the trash, or slathered with fudge frosting to compensate for the texture), or the more pleasantly textured fudgy brownie. I flourish with chewy cookies...can make a muffin and cupcake from scratch...but the brownie is my unicorn. I can never get it just the way I'd like it...but gotta admit, this recipe yielded some nice fudgy, flavorful treats.


::gathering my raw materials::


Ingredients:

1 cup flour

2 heaping tbsps cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 egg yolks

1 cup brown sugar

4 oz strong brewed coffee (optional)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

4-6 oz melted bittersweet chocolate

1 stick of butter

4 oz chocolate chips



Directions


Heat your oven to 350F. Throw some nuts on a cookie sheet, and toast for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and chop in a mini food processor.


Put aside in a bowl.


Optional step: Prepare some coffee in a coffee press, or brew some instant. I opted for the former, because I'll take any opportunity to make coffee for myself = )
Allow to steep for 4 minutes, if pressing. Pour about 4 oz into a cup.

In a double boiler, melt your chocolate and the stick of butter until smooth. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and coffee.


While you're waiting for the chocolate mixture to cool off a little, sift together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.


Separate your eggs, and save the yolks. You can save the egg whites for breakfast, or toss. Whatever you'd like. I brought out my handy dandy egg separator.


Normally, I just use whole eggs, but a friend suggested I use egg yolks. I thought I'd give it a try, considering I was avoiding the cakey texture.

So now, the chocolate mixture should be at room temperature. Beat in the brown sugar with a mixer. Then slowly add the dry ingredients.



Once fully incorporated, add your nuts and chocolate chips. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spread mixture evenly.



Throw in the oven, bake @ 350F for about 17-20 minutes. Once done, remove and allow to cool for about two hours.

Flip over onto wax paper and remove aluminum. With a sharp knife, carefully make firm, even cuts to get that "clean cut" effect. Wipe the knife each time, as you cut the desired number of brownies.


Serve and enjoy alone, with ice cream, or however you'd like. For a cakier brownie, add more flour and use 3 whole eggs for recipe. For a crunchier brownie...simply, bake longer. And a chewier brownie? Still working on that one... = )

1 comment:

  1. 2 posts in 1 day? Tsk tsk ... making the rest of us look bad. But seriously, the salmon and brownies both look delicious. Have you started a Nor Cal delivery service yet?

    ReplyDelete