Friday, May 7, 2010

Tomato bisque




Anytime i get to fiddle with a kitchen gadget that i don't normally use, I am stoked. = ) i was also relieved to use my tomatoes, which i feared would be forgotten in the veggie drawer, and turn into a yucky tomato mush.

but luckily, they were nice and firm. this is my second attempt at a soup, and was pleased with the results. keeping chicken stock/broth handy is a great strategy for soup experimentation.

so...here we go...a nice tomato bisque for lunch. For the purpose of this recipe, I will double my measurements--I made only enough for myself, only because i had 1 and 1/2 tomatos to use.


::gathering my raw materials::



Ingredients


1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 onion, chopped

2 tbsps olive oil

4-6 large ripe tomatoes, chopped

A 16 oz can, chicken stock

Seasonings - pinch of sage, rosemary, pepper -- all to taste

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Shredded cheese, croutons, or sour cream (for garnish)

::note:: the salt and sugar ratio is entirely up to your own taste. I like my tomato bisques salty sweet, but taste as you go along.




Directions

In a large saucepan, heat your olive oil and sautee your minced garlic and chopped onions. Allow this to cook on low to medium heat for about 5-10 minutes.


Add your chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Let them simmer on low.


This is a good time to add your seasonings. In goes the sage, rosemary, and pepper. Add more, add less--up to you.



Go away for an hour, keeping your heat on low, and your pot covered. When the tomatoes are fully cooked, you're ready for the blending. Turn off your heat.

So...there's a couple of ways you can do this: 1) scoop out your soup in parts, and put them in a blender or 2) use an immersion blender, and do it directly in the pot. I opted for the latter.

NOTE: MAKE SURE THE HEAD IS FULLY SUBMERGED IN YOUR LIQUID! I learned the hard way, and splashed hot soup on me, and my stove, 'til I got the hang of it. Totally worth it though, because it pureed everything in a snap, once I figured out what I was doing. = )


Now, if your tomato skins are very thick, take this opportunity to use a large sieve (try to use one with a wider mesh) to strain out skins, seeds, etc. I used roma tomatos, and the skins were very thin, so didn't really have an issue. Plus, I liked the texture of the mixed veggies. Put the soup back in the pot and on your stove. At extremely low heat, add your sugar and salt to taste. Add your heavy cream.



Once it starts to form tiny bubbles, you're essentially done. Add cheese, if you'd like. Serve into bowls and top with croutons, sour cream, pepper, cheese, etc. Enjoy alone or with a sandwich. And there you go...a non complicated lunch. = )

No comments:

Post a Comment