Wednesday, May 5, 2010

tri veggie-cheese omelette


Back to breakfast... = )

Alright, this is another easy dish that can be jazzed up to your liking. Breakfast is always fun to make. Plus, everything tastes great when you're hungry.

So what to do with a slew of eggs and veggies? Make an omelette of course! I'm not a huge breakfast person--my breakfast usually consists of coffee, toast, and maybe yogurt or cottage cheese. But hey, once in a while it's fun to bust out a pan in the morning and do something with eggs.

I confess...I'm not big on vegetarian dishes. I grew up eating meat. I love meat. I try to incorporate meat into most of my dishes. However, I get easily distracted with cheese, so this is one of the few dishes I don't mind eating that's meatless. It's not hard to make; just a little more time consuming with veggie cutting, cheese shredding, etc.

::gathering my raw materials::


Ingredients


1 cup diced onion, tomato, and green peppers (or really, whatever other veggies you prefer.)

2 large eggs

splash of milk

1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used crumbled feta, aged cheddar, and mozzarella)

Seasonings - cumin, chili powder, pepper, salt - all to taste. No boundaries-whatever you like.

Cooking oil (for your pans)


On with it...

Directions:

Chop your veggies and heat a small frying pan with a bit of cooking oil. Keep your heat low, so you can go off and do other stuff while they're cooking.



Note: I generally saute my veggies before I add them to the omelette so they 1) have great flavor all together and 2) i hate raw veggies with cooked egg. If you don't mind raw veggies, you can skip the cooking part. But if you dom at this point, you can add whatever flavorings--I added a bit of cumin and chili powder, just for a nice additional flavoring to coat the veggies while cooking.


While your veggies are simmering, prep your cheese off to the side on a plate. I save about 1/3 of what I use for the top of the omelette...and I don't hold back with cheese. Feta cheese in egg is so yummy, and definitely a throwback to my childhood. You also don't really need too much additional salt when you cook with feta, especially with egg.


Remove your veggies from the heat, and start your egg. Sometimes I'll just do an egg white omelette, which is yummy too--but I don't eat eggs that often, so I went all the way. Two large eggs, add a little bit of milk, and pepper. Whisk with a fork.



Heat a medium frying pan with a little bit of cooking oil and pour your egg mixture onto it. While it's bubbling, add your cheese. Then add your cooked veggies.



When the egg is cooked enough on the bottom, carefully fold the omelette in half with your spatula. Let it come together for a few seconds, and then carefully slide onto a plate. Sprinkle the remainder of your cheese on top while hot.


Have with toast, potatos, salsa, tortillas, or eat alone. Enjoy = )

1 comment: