Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pizza - of the chicken, cilantro, and bbq sauce variety



Yea....all that. For those of you who've been to CPK, you may have tried the various yummy combinations that are on their menu; yes, I was definitely inspired by them. So I got adventurous and motivated to use my veggies while they were still good. I had cooked chicken. I had a plethora of peppers and cilantro. I had a half of a jalapeno. I had an undeniable urge to play with dough. And thus, my pizza was born.


::gathering my raw materials::

Ingredients

Basic pizza dough (for this recipe, I used half of the dough for one pizza).

1/2 to 1 cup bbq sauce of your choice

1/2 jalapeno, diced

1/4 cup onion, diced

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 to 1 cup cooked chicken

1 to 2 cups chopped peppers (red, green, orange)

3/4 cup chopped cilantro

1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar/mozzarella mix (or whatever cheese you like)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Allow your dough to rise 45 min to 1 hr. Should double in size.



While you're waiting for your dough to rise, sautee your diced onions, jalapeno, and minced garlic in a small pan. Once nice and brown, add your bbq sauce and let it all simmer together. The veggies give the bbq sauce a nice little zing.



Remove from heat and prepare your other ingredients, which translates to a lot of cutting and shredding = )


When your dough is ready, punch it down, knead, and cut it in half. Save one piece for another time, and round the rest on a floured work surface. Roll it out as thin or as thick as you'd like.



Very carefully, fold your dough in half, then in quarters, and transfer over to a greased cookie sheet or large pan (large enough to hold your pizza). I rolled in the ends to make a "crust" (also serves as a kind of 'reservoir' to hold your sauces and toppings).


Begin by spreading your bbq sauce onto the dough. Layer some cheese, chicken, vegggies, and the last of your cheese.



End by topping your pizza with your chopped cilantro. I was very generous, as I really enjoy cilantro (and had a ton to spare).


Pop your pizza into the oven for about 25 minutes at 350F or until the cheese melts and starts to brown nicely.


When cooled, cut and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. For a fresh cilantro taste, toss chopped cilantro on top of yer pizza after you pull it out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete