Monday, April 19, 2010

Zesty Chicken Tortilla Soup



Yum! I don't venture too far into the realm of soups, but I have to admit, this one came out very tasty, and was surprisingly easy to make. I've yet to adapt a Tyler Florence recipe that came out bad--and this was no exception. I was very happy with the results.

NOTE: I was totally bummed shortly after I made this dish--I accidentally erased ALL the pictures I took in the "process." I really wanted to post the recipe though, so I went back and took some pictures of the main ingredients used...but not as many visuals as I would have liked ::sigh:: anywho...onward...

::gathering my raw materials::

This recipe was adapted from Tyler Florence's original--I definitely "halved" it, since it's just 'lil ol me eating. So here we go...

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (or more, if you can handle the heat)
2 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
1 14 oz can chicken stock (or broth)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Canola oil, for pan-frying
1 small can whole kernel corn
2 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
4-6 oz shredded or chopped cooked chicken
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish


Directions:

Place a large saucepan over medium heat and coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy. Pour in the stock, (drained) can of small corn, cooked chicken, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes. I also threw in a dash of chili powder, 'cause I played it safe with the jalapeno.

Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of canola oil in a skillet over medium-high flame. When the oil begins to smoke, add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until they are crisp on all sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.


Ladle the hot soup into a couple of bowls. Top with the fried tortilla strips (and cheese if using). Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment